Each year Catholics and Christians observe the 40 days before Easter as lent, a time of sacrifice and preparation. Many observe the giving up of something valuable to them. We have a great excuse for you not to give up your iPhone or iPad by collecting these apps that will help, encourage, motivate, and of course inspire you to deeper prayer.
This year I have a few recommendations. The first isn’t an app at all but a site. I have used this in the past and really enjoyed it, I hope that you do to:
1. Sign Up
It’s super easy and quick. All we need are your name and email address.
2. Watch Videos
You’ll receive short, inspiration videos each day to help you see some amazing possibilities!
3. Be Awesome
It’s not about testing your will power in the face of cake. It’s about becoming the-best-version-of-yourself.
ABOUT BEST LENT EVER 2020
We all know the things that make us happy, but we don’t always do them. Lent is an opportunity to change that. This year we invite you to do something different.
Sign up for Best Lent Ever, a FREE, video-based email program featuring internationally acclaimed speaker and New York Times bestselling author Matthew Kelly. From Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday, Matthew will help you identify what stands between you and happiness … and what to do about it. Are you ready for your best Lent ever?
And now on to a few apps that can boost your lent journey to new heights, and help you get the most out of this preparation for Easter.
Lenten Magnificat Companion 2020 $2.99
This Lenten Companion App designed to help you live all the graces of Lent.
Prepare your heart during the precious days leading up to Easter.
A Companion for the Forty Days of Lent (from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday)
Presented in a day-by-day format, the Magnificat Lenten App includes:
- Inspiring daily Lenten reflections by gifted Catholic writers
- Morning and evening prayers, inspired by the Liturgy of the Hours
- Readings and prayers of each daily Mass
- Faith-filled essays
- Prayers, poetry, and devotions
- Lenten Penance Service
- Meditations for the Way of the Cross
- A treasury of spiritual insights
- A selection of audio Hymns to enjoy
By spending a few moments meditating on the inspiring daily reflections and the short prayers that follow them, you will deepen your relationship with Jesus, his Blessed Mother, and his Church.
Let the profound yet practical insights you will find in this little spiritual treasury form and focus your spiritual life, filling it with new conviction and purpose.
Are you or a loved one looking for a way this Lent to return to the Church or to develop a more fervent practice of your faith?
The Magnificat Lenten Companion 2020 is the perfect help.
Hallow: Catholic Meditation 4+
Pray. Meditate. Sleep. Lent.
$8.99 per month
$59.99 per year
- Hallow is a prayer app that offers guided meditation sessions to help us grow in our faith lives and find peace & stillness in God. Explore contemplative prayer & meditation sessions across techniques like:
- Christian Meditation: finding peace in silence & imaginative prayer leveraging Catholic mindfulness practices
- Examen: reflecting on your day and discovering an awareness of God, Jesus, & the Holy Spirit in the present moment
- Lectio Divina: entering into a conversation with God through passages from the Bible
- Spiritual Writing: journaling with God, listening to Him, & sharing with Him what’s on your mind & heart
- Taizé & Chant Meditation: meditative chant & singing with God
- Rosary: meditating with Mary through the mysteries of the Rosary
Today’s world is stressful, busy, hectic, & full of distractions. Society puts an insane amount of pressure on us and there seems to be a constantly increasing expectation to work harder, study more, respond faster, & perform better. At the same time, we’re increasingly searching for meaning, fulfillment, purpose, and growth within our spiritual lives. We believe these two challenges can be addressed with the same solution. Namely, through deepening our relationship with God and growing in Christian mindfulness. By allowing Him into our day-to-day lives and stresses, we let Him share with us His peace, joy and fulfillment. In the end, a halo & heaven is the goal :)
WHAT YOU GET
Hallow’s intuitive, convenient & personalized experience begins with a 9-day intro that guides you step-by-step through 3 different methods of prayer. After this, it’s up to you to choose from our collection of over 500 sessions across 5 different sections:
- Dailies: Daily prayers across methods including Lectio Divina (on the Daily Gospel), the Rosary, Spiritual Writing, & the Examen.
- Praylists: Sessions across a variety of prayer methods, all centered on one particular theme, e.g., joy, humility, making decisions, calm, letting go.
- Challenges: Prayers usually focused on re-discovering the beauty within traditional prayers, e.g., the Our Father, Stations of the Cross, and Psalms.
- Community: Prayers with a set schedule to pray along with the rest of the Hallow community, such as the #pray40 Lenten Challenge, which begins on Ash Wednesday and continues throughout all of Lent.
- Sleep: Prayers designed specifically to help you prepare to sleep, including Night Prayer from Liturgy of the Hours / Divine Office, and nightly Examens.
- Additionally, Hallow offers a number of features to help users customize their prayer experience:
- Journal for users to capture their thoughts after every prayer
- Choice of male or female guide
- Options for 3 different lengths for every prayer (typically 5, 10, or 15 minutes)
- Ability to set prayer reminders
- Option to include calming background music in any session
- Ability to download sessions for offline listening
As Hallow is a Catholic app, all of our content is developed by experienced Catholic theology and spirituality guides and reviewed by senior leaders within the Church (e.g., PhD’s, professors, Bishops, authors).
SUBSCRIPTION PRICING & TERMS
Users can access our Daily prayers (including the Rosary) and the 9-day Intro Prayer Challenge for free.
To access the full suite of Praylists and Challenges, Hallow offers two auto-renewing subscription options:
$8.99 per month
$59.99 per year
These prices are for United States customers.
Your Hallow subscription will renew automatically unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You can go to you iTunes account settings to manage your subscription and turn off auto-renew. Your iTunes account will be charged when the purchase is confirmed.
Hallow integrates with the Apple Health app.
Read more about our terms and conditions here: https://www.hallow.app/terms-of-service
Helping you to meditate during Lent season with these meditations by St. Thomas Aquinas.
There are meditations for 63 days starting from Septuagesima Sunday until Holy Saturday with the following topics:
- The Work of the Vineyard
- On Doing Good
- The Prayer of Our Lord in the Garden
- Good Works
- The Reward
- The Need for Caution
- On Reforming Ourselves
- The Seed
- The Goodness of God
- The Remembrance of Our Lord’s Passion
- The Need to be Watchful
- And many more …
$3.99 – Download it here.