The Word Among Us App brings this well known powerful tool for the faithful into the digital world! It features Daily Readings with Meditations, Reflections on other topics, as well as an “Order of the Mass” section which is basically like a Missal.
The design is simple and beautiful, the reflections are helpful and thought provoking, and the app really delivers the Word to it’s users in a user-friendly way.
My favorite parts about the app are the Meditations and the Antiphons. As a music minister, I really appreciate having the entrance and communion antiphon readily accessible while I’m leading Mass.
Also, a HUGE advantage for this app is the fact that it uses the same translations of Scripture and the Liturgy that users will find in Mass. Some apps do not use the New American Bible for their daily readings and so when you try to follow along at Mass you may be hearing different words/phrases.
The Word Among Us also enables users to quickly download issues for offline viewing.
Lastly, this app gives readers access to a full archive of past issues AND articles about personal spirituality, Prayer, Marriage & Family, and Saints!
For some, the fact that this app is downloaded to the Newsstand might be different, but this has a few benefits like fast switching & syncing between devices.
Also – and this is just being nit picky – the “Order of the Mass” section may be confusing to people who are brand new to the Liturgy since it does not include place holders for the readings.
In other words, as you’re following along with the Order of the Mass the app says “Liturgy of the Word” and immediately goes to the profession of faith. Not really a huge deal, but thought I’d mention it.
Overall, the app is great for those looking for a Mass companion. The Meditations help you enter into the readings, the reflections give you food for thought for living out your faith in your daily life, and the “Order of the Mass” enables users to easily follow along with the Liturgy.
“Cover to cover, ‘The Word Among Us’ helps us better hear the word of God.”
– Cardinal Donald WuerlBeautifully designed for iPad and iPhone, The Word Among Us app is free to download and includes a 14-day free trial.
Now fully supported for use with IOS 7.
“The Word Among Us” magazine is the largest monthly devotional for Catholics based on the Scripture readings from Mass.
THE WORD AMONG US APP INCLUDES:
– Mass readings for everyday of the year (The New American Bible)
– Daily meditations based on Mass readings
– Complete Order of Mass (ICEL)
– All articles found in the print edition
– Plus additional content not found in the printed edition
– Single page portrait and beautiful two page book-like landscape viewing on iPad.
– Apple Newsstand Subscriptions are available for only $1.99/month or $23.99/year. Subscription will automatically renew through your iTunes account until cancelled.
– Print subscribers to “The Word Among Us” receive free access to all the content included in their printed magazine plus additional resource articles and past issues.
ABOUT THE WORD AMONG US:
The Word Among Us magazine is the largest monthly devotional for Catholics based on the Scripture readings from Mass. Daily meditations based on the Mass readings, articles about the saints, and practical advice on living the Christian life. With the Complete Catholic Mass, the daily Scripture readings, along with the complete Order of the Mass.
Liturgical source: United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (The New American Bible) & ICEL.